In our everyday life, the concept of “Diversity and Inclusion” is related to the challenge of social participation of foreign nationals, the challenged, women and aged people. I think that it is important for all of us to recognize, respect and accept various personalities, abilities and minds of each of us, so that we would find something potential, and grow and influence each other to make our lives more valuable and progressive. I try to do my best to accomplish my duties politely, fairly and faithfully as an Administrative Scrivener or Certified Administrative Procedures Legal Specialist called “Gyoseishoshi Lawyer”. I hope we will make progress toward and beyond “Diversity and Inclusion”, which will be pervasive as an ordinary attitude near future in the world.

Representative Gyoseishoshi Lawyer (Administrative Scrivener)/Certified Administrative Procedures Legal Specialist

CONTACT ―Please feel free to consult us―

  • NAKAMURA Gyoseishoshi Lawyer Office
  • Phone:03-6304-9907
  • Cell Phone:080-5685-8391
  • Fax:03-6304-9907
  • Address:2-6-24 NARITA-HIGASHI, SUGINAMI-KU, TOKYO 166-0015, JAPAN
  • Office hour:9am to 6pm, Monday through Friday

What is "Gyoseishoshi Lawyer" ?

Administrative Scrivener or Certified Administrative Procedures Legal Specialist, called “Gyoseishoshi Lawyer” in Japan, is certified expert authorized to prepare the necessary documents to be submitted to a public agency in order to obtain license or approval such as resident status for foreign nationals, while Japan's Gyoseishoshi Lawyer is also authorized to prepare other types of documents relating to rights, duties or representations such as various legal papers and contract agreements etc. (refer to the website of Gyoseishoshi Lawyers of Tokyo:


Foreign nationals who have already stayed in Japan with a Japan's status of residence (VISA) need to apply for proper procedures in order to continue legally staying in Japan. The type of Japan's status of residence (VISA) and the procedures vary depending on the purposes of residence. In consideration of the diversity of each of foreign nationals staying in Japan, I will proceed with the procedures for the status of residence (VISA) appropriately while consulting with them. For examples,

◆the procedures of “Change of status of residence”, “Extension of period of stay”, “Permanent residence”, “Naturalization”, “Residence card”, etc. for foreign nationals already having stayed in Japan.
◆Support for foreign nationals who wish to start up business in Japan (status of residence of “Business manager”), including support to use “program to increase foreign entrepreneurs” offered by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
◆Support for International Students seeking career opportunity in Japan
◆Support for foreign nationals who want to attract children living in their home countries

Japan’s "Status of Residence" is what a foreign national staying in Japan should acquire strictly according to the activities planned in Japan, while "VISA" is issued at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate abroad, confirms that the passport possessed by the foreign national is valid, and indicates that it is appropriate for the foreign national to enter or stay in Japan. Therefore, Japan’s "Status of Residence" is specifically different from "VISA". However, many foreign nationals actually refer to Japan’s "Status of Residence" as "VISA", so to avoid confusion, I put both of words without distinction on this website.


Support for foreign nationals who wish to start up business in Japan

Foreign nationals who wish to start up business in Japan need to have the status of residence of "Business manager". To receive this status of residence, in addition to opening an office, the applicant needs to hire at least two fulltime staff, or invest five million yen at least under the current system in Japan. This might be a bit tough for foreign nationals who are outside of Japan and do not have any reliable partner in Japan.

However, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government(TMG) offers an alternative way to obtain this status of residence called "Program to increase foreign entrepreneurs" which would lower the hurdle for prospective foreign entrepreneurs. In this program, foreign applicant can receive the status of residence of "Business manager" for six months even if aboved-mentioned conditions are not met, if business plans and other application documents are submitted to the TMG and the TMG confirms that the applicant has prospects for fulfilling the conditions within that six months. (This program can be applied for start-up business only in Tokyo.)
I would like to support these procedures for prospective foreign entrepreneurs to obtain this status of residence of "Business manager" by using this program. I also would like to support foreign nationals who already have stayed in Japan and wish to start up business in Japan.
Please refer to the following website: Program to increase foreign entrepreneurs (

Support for International Students' Career Opportunities

I advise and take necessary procedures for international students who wish to work in Japan. I support international students who have acquired each specialized field through studying in Japan and want to expand their potentials and challenges while working in Japan. International students have various possible alternatives to find employments in Japan as follows below:

-By using the internship system, international students can take advantage of their majors and experiences working in the workplaces of Japanese companies. In this way, they can learn the skills and know-how of Japanese companies and use them for their future career choices.
After graduated from Japanese universities or vocational schools
-Job Hunting: They can do job hunting by changing into the status of residence of “Designated Activities”. They can also use the internship system as indicated above.

-”Cool Japan” fields: In case they have learned the “Cool Japan” fields including Japanese animation (cartoon film), fashion, design and food etc, they can find employment in these fields in Japan.

-High proficiency in Japanese: In case they graduated from Japanese universities or graduate schools and have high proficiency in Japanese, they can engage in a wide range of tasks including those that require smooth communication in Japanese such as general services and manufacturing operations etc, which were not previously permitted.

-”Specified Skilled Worker”: They can also change into the status of residence of “Specified Skilled Worker”, which has just been started in 2019. This resident status includes fourteen specified industrial fields. Examinations of skill level and Japanese proficiency are required. Please refer to the following website of the Ministry of Justice:

General support for various procedures of the status of residence (VISA)

Foreign nationals who have already stayed in Japan with a Japan's status of residence (VISA) need to take proper procedures and notifications regarding their status of residence (VISA) in order to continue legally staying in Japan. I will support foreign nationals for the following procedures while consulting with them. Generally, foreign nationals must go directly to the Immigration office to carry out the procedures, which takes time there, but I can basically proceed without having the foreign nationals appear at the Immigration office because I am registered with the Immigration Bureau.

Application for certificate of eligibility
In case that foreign national stays in Japan over three month period, Japan’s status of residence is required strictly according to the activities planned in Japan. There are twenty-nine types of residential status as of the end of March 2020. Foreign nationals residing in Japan must have one of these status of residence. Applying for a certificate of eligibility is a procedure for obtaining this status of residence.
Application for change of status of residence
In case that foreign nationals change their purposes of residence and are willing to do activities that correspond to another status of residence, they must obtain permission to change into new status of residence by this application.
Application for extension of period of stay
In case that foreign nationals can not achieve their purposes of residence within the given period of stay, they must apply for permission to renew their period of stay.
Application for permission to acquire status of residence
In case that foreign nationals who have decided to stay in Japan without the procedures stipulated by the Immigration Control Act due to withdrawal of Japanese nationality or birth etc. wish to stay in Japan for more than sixty days from the date the event occurred, they will need to apply for this permit.
Application for certificate of authorized employment
The certificate of authorized employment indicating the specific work activities to be allowed is issued upon this application so that foreign workers can show their status of residence in which they can work and employers can also easily confirm what kind of work activities they can do. When foreign workers change their jobs, they had better apply for this.
Application for permanent residence
Permanent residents do not have restrictions on their activities and period of stay, so their residence management is greatly eased compared to other status of residence. For this reason, permanent residence is more carefully investigated than regular changes of resident status.
Application for re-entry permit
In case that foreign nationals residing in Japan leave Japan temporarily and then re-enter Japan, their status of residence and period of stay up to that point will expire without the re-entry permit, and they will not be able to re-enter Japan unless they obtain new VISA. If they have re-entry permits, their status of residence and period of stay will continue to be valid. However, re-entry permit is not required in principle if they re-entry within one year after departure.
Application for permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted
In case that foreign nationals residing in Japan are engaged in work activities such as receiving rewards, in addition to activities in accordance with the permitted status of residence, they are required to obtain “permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted” in advance. International students are allowed to do part-time work as “activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted” within twenty-eight hours per week, and within eight hours per day (forty hours per week) during long holidays.
Residence card
A residence card is issued to a foreign national who has been granted a permit to stay for a mid- to long term (over three months of residence period), proving that he/she is legally resident. If there is any change in the information on the residence card, foreign nationals are required to notify the change.
Procedures concerning the residency management
(Notification concerning the organization where to belong, Notification of change of residence, etc.)
In case that there is a change in social relationships such as employment relationships or marriage relationships etc., foreign nationals must report the change.

Reference Website

◆General Information of Everyday Life
- A Daily Life Support Portal for Foreign Nationals (Ministry of Justice (MOJ)):
- Life in Tokyo (Tokyo Intercultural Portal Site):
◆Support for International Students’ Career Opportunities
- Job Hunting Guide for International Students (Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)):
- International Students Job Search Guide (Japan Study Support (JPSS)):
- Tokyo Employment Service Center for Foreigners portal site:
- Tokyo Career Guide (Tokyo Metropolitan Gov.):
◆General Information of various procedures of the resident status (VISA)
- Immigration procedures (Immigration Services Agency of Japan):
Please refer to the articles of "CASE HISTORY・INFORMATION" on this website:
◆Information regarding the Technical Intern Training 1
- OTIT (Organization for Technical Intern Training)
- About OTIT:
- Search for Japanese Supervising Organizations:
- For the technical intern trainees:
- Native Language Consultation:
◆Information regarding the Technical Intern Training 2
- JITCO(Japan International Trainee & Skilled Worker Cooperation Organization)
- About JITCO:
- Technical Intern Trainees’ Mate (General Information for the Technical Intern Training):